Small Business Resources
1. ATO App
The ATO app puts tax and super help in your hand, making it easier for you to conduct your tax and super affairs.
If you’re an individual taxpayer, small business owner or self-managed super fund trustee, you can access tax and super information and tools all in in one place.
2. Small Business Calendar
Your small business tax calendar is an easy-to-use tool that will help you plan and manage your tax obligations and give you timely reminders.
3. Employee/contractor decision tool
If your business engages and pays workers, you should use this decision tool.
The tool is not designed for situations where you:
- enter into an agreement with a company, partnership or trust for them to provide a worker
- obtain workers through an intermediary such as a labour hire or on-hire firm
- are a labour hire or on-hire firm.
4. Building and construction industry – employee/contractor decision tool
Businesses in the building and construction industry can use this tool to determine whether a worker is an employee or contractor.
5. Record keeping evaluation tool
You should use this tool if you are:
- thinking about starting a business
- in business and responsible for keeping the business records, or
- responsible for managing business records of small businesses, such as registered tax agents or BAS agents, and bookkeepers.
6. Business viability assessment tool
You can use this tool to help you determine whether a business is viable.
7. Tax withheld calculator
If you are an employer or another withholding payer, the tax withheld calculator helps you work out the tax you need to withhold from payments you make to employees and other workers.
To use the tax withheld calculator, you will need the information your employees or other workers supply in their:
- Tax file number declaration (NAT 3092)
- Withholding declaration (NAT 3093)
- Medicare levy variation declaration (NAT 0929).
- Weekly tax table 2015 -16 (NAT 1005) from 1 July 2015
- Fortnightly tax table (NAT 1006) from 1 July 2014
8. Cash economy
These worksheets will help you assess your reported income to your actual lifestyle. The ATO have sent these out to tax payers as a first port of call to see if you are declaring all your income.
However there may be may reasons that your lifestyle exceeds your reported income, you may have been gifted money, sold your family home and so on.
Personal living expenses comprehensive worksheet
Personal living expenses concise worksheet
9. Payments, loans and debts forgiven by private companies
Where a private company directly or indirectly makes a payment or loan to a shareholder or their associate, or forgives a debt owed to the company by a shareholder or their associate, the company may be taken under Division 7A of Part III of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1936 (Division 7A) to have paid them a dividend. In this situation, the shareholder or their associate may need to include this amount in their tax return as an unfranked dividend.
10. ATO payment plan calculator
You can use the online calculator to work out a payment plan that suits your circumstances. You can also use it to determine how quickly you can pay off a tax debt, taking into account the interest you’ll be charged. The longer you take to pay off your debt, the more it will cost you in interest.
11. Small business entity concessions
This tool will help tax agents determine if an entity is eligible for the capital gains tax concessions available for small business.
12. Superannuation Guarantee (SG) contributions calculator
For salary or wage payments made on or after 1 July 2014, the new minimum SG contributions rate of 9.50% will need to be applied.
13. Super guarantee eligibility
Use this decision tool if you have employees (including some contractors) to check their eligibility for super contributions