Record Retention

How long should you keep your records?

Generally, you must keep your written evidence for five years from the date you lodge your tax return, or, if you:

  • have claimed a deduction for decline in value (formerly known as depreciation) – five years from the date of your last claim for decline in value
  • acquire or dispose of an asset – five years after it is certain that no capital gains tax (CGT) event can happen, so you know you don't need the records to work out a capital gain or loss
  • are in dispute with us – the later of five years from the date you lodge your tax return or when the dispute is finalised.

Shorter retention from 2004–05 on

We have made a determination SDR 2006/1External Link that some records for 2004–05 and later income years held by individuals with simple tax affairs need only be retained for two years. The records that are covered by this determination are a:

  • family agreement that is relevant to 2004–05 or later
  • copy of a payment summary given to an individual in the income year commencing 1 July 2004 or later
  • taxpayer declaration that is made on or after 1 April 2004 for returns and documents lodged with us by a tax agent on a taxpayer's behalf, authorising the agent to lodge and declaring that the information supplied is correct (for example, the taxpayer declaration on a tax agent lodged tax return).

What are simple tax affairs?

You are classed as having simple tax affairs in an income year if you are an individual taxpayer and:

  • your income consists only of
    • salary or wages (other than from associates)
    • interest paid by a financial institution or government body
    • dividends from an Australian company listed on the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX)
  • you claim deductions only for
    • the cost of managing your tax affairs
    • bank fees and charges, including taxes and duties
    • deductible gifts of money and donations of money
  • you are not
    • a foreign resident for the year of income
    • entitled to a foreign tax credit
    • required to adjust your taxable income because of payments to or from your associates
    • in receipt of a capital gain or loss that must be taken into account in your tax return
    • in receipt of foreign employment income, or income from service on an approved overseas project that is exempt from tax in Australia.